"To put off" means to delay doing something until later.
put off 是可以拆開的動詞片語,可以說 "put off sth / doing sth" 或是 "put sth off",表示「延後(做)某事」或是「拖延(做)某事」。
情境影片:
"The worst thing you can do with homework is put it off until later." |
「面對作業,最糟糕的做法就是拖到之後再做。」 |
|
"That's right. It's called procrastination." |
「沒錯,這就叫做拖延。」 |
|
"Pro-cas-ta-what?" |
「拖...什麼?」 |
|
"Procrastination: putting off a job 'til tomorrow when you know it should be done today." |
「拖延:將今天就該完成的事延遲到明天。」 |
"Hey, Mom, could we hike up to Blueberry Hill Lookout on Saturday to celebrate?" |
「嘿,媽,我們星期六可不可以去藍莓山丘景觀台健行,當作慶祝?」 |
|
"Ooh, that sounds like fun. I think I could manage to put off the yard work." |
「嗚,聽起來很好玩,我想我可以想辦法把院子裡的工作延後。」 |
|
"I could pack a nice picnic lunch." |
「我可以打包一頓很棒的野外午餐。」 |
"You know Franklin, putting off unpleasant tasks until later, often has a way of making more work." |
「你知道嗎,富蘭克林,把討厭的任務延到之後再做,常常會帶來更多的工作。」 |
|
"Huh? What do you mean?" |
「蛤?什麼意思?」 |
|
"Well, let's take the garden for instance. If I put off pulling weeds when they're little, they grow up and spread their seeds so I have even more weeds to pull." |
「我們以花園為例,如果當雜草還小的時候,我延後拔除它們,它們就會長大,然後散播它們的種子,因此就會有更多的雜草要拔。」 |
"Sorry we didn't catch the murderer, Holmes. And I'm afraid you'll have to catch her without me. My wedding is tomorrow." |
「抱歉,我們沒抓到兇手,福爾摩斯。而且我恐怕你得自己去抓她了。明天是我的婚禮。」 |
|
"Yes, about that, you know, I was thinking. Maybe you should put that off for a little while. You know, sow a few more wild oats." |
「是的,關於那個,你知道的,我想在,也許你應該把婚禮延後一小段時間。你知道的,稍微放縱玩樂一下。」 |
留言列表